Many of the critical security problems are caused by computer systems. The weaker security measures
on a computer system can invite attackers to run malicious code on it. Very carefully follow the security
policies and make sure that a new computer system is secure before you link it to a network. The security
management tasks to be performed on a computer system may include the following:
• Install an operating system by using a secured file system.
• Create user accounts and assign privileges to the users based on the security policies.
• Use strong passwords for the user accounts.
• Remove the unused and unnecessary user accounts including the unnecessary default accounts and guest
• Turn off the unused and unnecessary services such as Telnet and anonymous access.
• Turn on the automatic security service.
• Restrict the access to the shared files, folders, and disks.
• Set the account lockout policy.
• Install the latest security packs, patches, and antivirus software.
• Distribute the latest security packs, patches, and antivirus software to students and faculty members.
• Enable the security event auditing service and the log warning service.
• After the installation of a software package or a new hardware device, run security assessment software
to see if there is security vulnerability. Not only do network administrators need to carefully enforce
these security measures, users including students and faculty members also need to do the same. A list
of security measure enforcement tasks should be available to everyone who is involved in an online
computer lab project. Fix all the problems before you link computers to a network.
Network System Security Management
A network is another most vulnerable place that can cause disastrous damage. Once the network is
infected, all the computers and network devices connected to the network will be affected. Extra caution
needs to be taken before the network is deployed and used by the public.
• Install the latest patches on routers and switches.
• Enable the security filters, monitoring service, notification service, and auditing service.
• Disable the unused services.
• Use strong passwords.
• Block all the vulnerable ports.
• Secure routers and switches.
• Encrypt the network traffic.
• Block the unused protocols by default.
• Configure the network not to receive or forward broadcast messages.
• Enable the firewall and configure it according to the security policies.
• Update the firewall with the latest patches.
• Enable IPsec on the firewall and configure it for encrypted communication.
• After the network equipment is installed, run security assessment software to
see if there is security vulnerability.
The network security measures should be fully enforced while creating the network.
Most of these tasks should be done by network administrators who have the security
management experience and the knowledge.
This content is brought to you by Exam Key. Are you seeking for this CompTIA lx0-102 Exam assistance?
Let’s get the advantage of 412-79 Test and pass your IT certification exam on first attempt with 100%
money back guaranty.